For the past few years, we have been offering week-long classes through Norfolk Recreation on varying production topics. Our Stop Motion Animation class has been requested often enough that we are holding TWO different sessions of it this summer! Our second session in August is full but there are still a few spots open during our July week!
Here is a breakdown of what each week will look like:
- Talk about stop motion techniques and watch a few short examples
- Work through production techniques such as set building and background creation, lighting, and the importance of stabilization.
- Break into two groups and start brainstorming and storyboarding
- Begin building sets if time allows (we work with Legos!)
- Continue/finish building sets
- Set up projects (focus and zoom camera, set lighting, etc.)
- Walkthrough of how to use iStopMotion software
- Begin capturing frames of project
- Continue working on projects, alternating between teams
- Brainstorm what sound effects are needed and how to create them
- Finish up capturing frames
- Begin sound effect creation and utilization
- Start working with FCPX to compile stills and sounds together
- Finish up final editing of projects
- Premiere projects to parents
Each team will have their projects shown on NCTV’s channels and will be uploaded to YouTube as well! Browse through our Kid’s Program page to see examples of past classes.
Register for our July class (July 13 - 17 from 1-3pm each day) through Norfolk Recreation's website!
Have ideas for a different kind of class? We’d love to know! Call, e-mail or come by to let us know what you and your kids want to learn.